According to a report published on Friday, August 21, by Rob Shuter‘s Naughty But Nice Substack, the much-hyped trip is about more than a homecoming. “This is their last chance to reset the marriage,” a source told Shuter. “They know they cannot keep going like this.”
Per the source, Harry, 41, has grown increasingly unhappy with the life he and Meghan, 45, built in Montecito, California, and that discontent has put real strain on the marriage. Meghan, meanwhile, did not want to return to Britain and remains deeply uneasy about the idea, the source claimed, even as the couple pushes ahead with the move.
James Whatling / MEGA
“They are not in a good place,” the source told Shuter. “Harry is deeply unhappy, and Meghan knows she cannot keep asking him to live a life that is making him miserable.”
The source also told Naughty But Nice that the couple has reached a point where simply carrying on as they have been is no longer working, with the emotional distance between them growing and their California life failing to deliver the happiness they’d once hoped it would bring.
@meghan / Instagram
“Meghan is not doing this because she wants to,” the source added. “She is doing it because she believes she has to. She does not want to lose Harry, and she knows something has to change.”
For Harry, the move back could provide the family connections and ties to Britain he’s been missing, according to the source. Meghan, however, would be leaving behind the California life she worked to establish and once again facing the intense scrutiny that followed her during her years as a working royal.
A return could also bring the couple’s children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, closer to their father’s family. As In Touch previously reported, the children returned to the U.K. with their parents in July for the first time in four years.