News

Josh Duggar’s Appeal for New Trial Is Denied In Child Pornography Conviction

Brianna Sainez

Published

on

Josh Duggar Appeal Denied in Child Pornography Conviction
Mandatory Credit: Photo by Patsy Lynch/Shutterstock (4794018a) Josh Duggar Josh Duggar resigns from his postion at the Family Reseach Council, Washington DC, America - 25 Apr 2015 Josh Duggar, a member of the TV reality show "19 Kids and Counting" and former Executive Director of the FRC Action, the non-profit lobbying arm of the Family Research Council, is shown at the March for Marriage rally in Washington DC. Duggar resigned after reports of his molesting several underaged girls in Arkansas, twelve years ago

Josh Duggar’s appeal for a new trial has been denied in connection to his December 2021 child pornography conviction, where he was later sentenced to 12.5 years in prison, In Touch can confirm.

Duggar, 35, was ordered to spend 151 months behind bars after being arrested and charged with one count of possessing and one count of receiving child pornography. While he pleaded not guilty, he was later convicted of both counts in December 2021, with the possession conviction eventually being dismissed. 

His legal team has since filed three appeals, his most recent being in October 2022, where he requested a new trial. Josh’s legal team faced the prosecution in court on February 16, where his lawyer, Justin Gelfand, argued that federal agents allegedly seized Josh’s phone when he tried to contact his attorney during a raid at his business a year and a half before the arrest, as he spoke to the officers without counsel present.

“[Duggar] takes out his phone, physically puts it to his ear… for the purpose of contacting his legal counsel,” Gelfand said during the appeal hearing. “Federal agents physically took the phone out of his hand and deprived him of the ability to communicate with his legal counsel.”

His lawyer continued, “He was told he was free to go. No reasonable person in his shoes at that time would believe that.”

The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals denied Josh’s right to a new trial on August 7 on the basis that Josh retained freedom of movement throughout the encounter with officers.

“Duggar sat in the front passenger seat of the agents’ truck during the interview. They ‘did not handcuff him, the doors remained unlocked, and he entered and exited the front seat of the vehicle on his own,’” court documents read. “And although the agents ‘initiated contact with’ Duggar, he still ‘voluntarily acquiesced’ to the questioning. Indeed, he began the interview with a question of his own ‘[H]as somebody been downloading child pornography?’ — and ‘continued to converse’ with them for about an hour.”

The court’s decision concluded, “We accordingly affirm the judgment of the district court.”

The former 19 Kids & Counting star has been serving his sentence at the Federal Correctional Facility (FCI) Seagoville in Texas and has a release date scheduled for August 12, 2032, according to the Bureau of Prisons, In Touch exclusively learned in July 2022. His stay had previously been extended to October 10, with the extension and subsequent addendum coming after the father of seven was moved to the prison’s Special Housing Unit (SHU) for allegedly having a cell phone on his person. Multiple reports indicate that FCI Seagoville’s solitary confinement conditions are “bad.” 

The disgraced reality star was transferred to FCI Seagoville near Dallas on June 24, 2022, after formerly being housed at the Washington County Detention Center in Arkansas since a jury returned with a guilty verdict in his child pornography trial on December 9, 2021. 

The same jury found Josh guilty of one count of possessing child pornography, which a judge later dropped at his May 25, 2022, sentencing. 

Trending News

Legal News4 days ago

Tupac Shakur’s Dying Words to Las Vegas Cop Revealed 30 Years Later at Keffe D Murder Trial

Celebrity News3 days ago

Kim Basinger, 72, Looks Nearly Unrecognizable in Rare Beverly Hills Appearance

Exclusive4 days ago

Sydney Sweeney’s New Lingerie Brand Syrn Is in Crisis: ‘It’s Been a Disaster’

Celebrity Deaths3 days ago

Brian Hickerson’s Chilling Texts to Hayden Panettiere After 2020 Domestic Violence Arrest Revealed

Wladimir Klitschko and Hayden Panettiere at the Best of Musical Gala 2010 at ColorLine Arena in Hamburg, Germany 2010 Credit: WENN Wladimir Klitschko and Hayden Panettiere at the Best of Musical Gala 2010 at ColorLine Arena in Hamburg, Germany 2010 Credit: WENN
Celebrity Deaths5 days ago

Hayden Panettiere’s Ex Wladimir Klitschko Releases Emotional Statement After Tragic Death

Celebrity Deaths2 days ago

Brian Hickerson Breaks Silence on Hayden Panettiere’s Death

Celebrity Deaths3 days ago

Hayden Panettiere Death Investigation Heats Up as Police Reportedly Close in on Arrests

Celebrity News5 days ago

Hayden Panettiere Wished for ‘Peace’ in Final Text to Friend

Celebrity Deaths3 days ago

Hayden Panettiere’s On-Again, Off-Again Boyfriend Brian Hickerson No Longer Cooperating With Police

Reality TV3 days ago

‘Below Deck Mediterranean’ Star Nathan Gallagher Arrested on Assault Charges

Celebrity News3 days ago

‘Santa Clause’ Star Reaches Breaking Point After 34 Years in Hollywood: ‘Frustrated, Fed Up, Fried’

Celebrity Deaths2 days ago

Hayden Panettiere’s Estranged Mom Lesley Vogel Is ‘Positioning Herself’ to Control Actress’ Estate